Wednesday, August 25, 2010

WIP: House Hunting

Erik and I have been house hunting for about a year and a half now. Erik did his best to find a house that was up to my standards before we got married, but we finally had to settle for a rental house until a better house could be found. It's not a bad house - it's on an acre, surrounded by cornfields, and the neighbors aren't right on top of us. However, I'm from the country, grew up on seventeen acres, and am really picky about where I live. My family moved to town the year preceding our marriage, and the only way I survived was by telling myself it was temporary.

That being said, it's really not easy to find a good house. While we haven't been checking out every house that comes up, we've been doing our fair share of searching and house-visiting. At long last, we decided to try talking to a different Realtor, having been told "this guy is really good." The first house he e-mailed us was one we already went and looked at on our own and didn't like. The second house, however (which he e-mailed us over the weekend) looked almost too good to be true. We replied that we really wanted to look at it, and scheduled an appointment to see it tomorrow afternoon.

Well, a few hours ago we found out that another offer had already been accepted on the house. Needless to say, we're both really disappointed, and right now it's hard to remember that God is the one taking care of our plans. My fallible human mind goes, "but God, this house looked perfect! Why would you let us see this great house only to not let us have it?" but I know that's the wrong way to think. I have to remember that God is the Master Planner. The Bible verse in my title says it all: "For I know the plans I have for you, " declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11) My goal this week is to cling to that verse and remember that God is my Author. And He's not one of those mean authors who do things to their characters just for the fun of it :-P He's the one and only Writer of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment